A new exhibit at the Concordia Historical Institute (CHI) museum chronicles the history of LCMS mission work in India. The exhibit, “The Mercy of Christ Freely Given: The First Twenty-Seven Years of Missouri Synod Mission Work in South India,” opened to the public on Aug. 16. It highlights the people and events that led up to the commissioning and sending of the first LCMS missionary to India in 1894 and the ordination of the first native Indian pastor in 1921.
The exhibit is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Feb. 26, 2021. It includes many photographs from CHI’s extensive online photo collection of the Missouri Evangelical Lutheran India Mission (MELIM) and features the stories of six men and women who were involved in Lutheran mission work in South India: Bartholomäus Ziegenbalg, Eduard Baierlein, C.M. Zorn, Theodor Naether, Louise Ellermann and G. Jesudason.
These six are also included in CHI’s “Faces of Lutheran Mission in India” bulletin insert and handout series (in English and the Indian languages of Tamil and Malayalam). These free resources are available for download on the CHI website at concordiahistoricalinstitute.org. Go to the “Publications” tab at the top of page and select “Faces of Lutheran Missions in India Series” from the drop-down menu.
The 125th anniversary of LCMS mission work in India was the theme of several articles in the Spring and Summer 2019 issues of CHI’s journal, Concordia Historical InstituteQuarterly.
A printed exhibit catalog is being planned for future release for those who are unable to visit the exhibit in person.
Concordia Historical Institute is located on the campus of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, at 804 Seminary Place, Clayton, Mo.